I drove a 2019 IS300

Not sure why I always think damping on Japanese cars are not so good. Maybe that's because I always drove a car with aftermarket sport suspension like KW, Koni, Bilstein for the past 12 years. But, I do think M5(F10) is a bit more stable than my GSF when cursing on highway although M5 handling is not as good. If I put Ohlins on my GSF, GSF's damping will become from good to SUPER GOOD. (and also better than stock M5) Then of course GSF's handling will become from better to MUCH MUCH better than stock M5...

By the way I don't think AVS can really improve damping a lot. I think hydraulic controlled dampers are much faster and even better than air suspensions if performance is higher priority...
In addition recent Infinitis become more refine, quiet and also softer. More refine and quiet are very good but I don't like softer... (Even 2017 and newer non-Nisimo GT-Rs become softer now!?! )
I still think Nissans/Infinitis are good if you can get a good deal on them. They are still more reliable than most of cars except Toyotas and maybe Hondas... (if they can fix recent CVT problems permanently!!!)
Some people may be curious about how different my 2017 GSF is when comparing with IS300 and my old 2007 G35S with KW or PSS10. Please see the below...

A little more solid and consistant on steering than IS but accuracy is about the same. (my G has much more feedback but its dead-zone or free-play is a little more due to its age.)

More stable on ride than IS. (my G feel a bit more stable at 75% of the time. Why not 100% of the time. That is because sometimes roads become not so smooth!!! G would be even more stable at ultra high speed like over 180kms/hr but unfortunately it’s not legal…)

GSF has almost no body roll when cornering aggressively which is much less than IS. (GSF is a bit more solid and better but my G with Eibach sway bars also has very minimal body roll)

A bit better on turn-in than IS. (I think my G with KW or PSS10 has similar feeling)

A bit more solid feel than IS when push it to near limits thanks to stiffer unit body. (Of course GSF is better considering my G is near 13 years old!!! But the difference is subtle and only when really pushing the car to the limit. The differences may be much larger on race tracks but it’s too dangerous to really tell the differences on public roads. Not sure if comparing with IS300 because I have to push to the limit to find out. IS has only all season tires and more body roll. So I have not enough confidence in probing its limit on public roads…)

A bit better than IS when braking. (my G with Hawk HPS is also not bad. I think GSF big Brembo brakes should perform much better on race tracks. So carbon fiber brakes become nonsense for daily drive. I'm so glad that GSF's is not carbon fiber because carbon fiber brakes are REALLY expensive!!! My GSF brake pads are already quite expensive...)

A little more eager in turns than IS thanks to TVD. (my G doesn’t has rear wheel steering like G37S coupe. So…)

A bit more stiff ride than IS. (my G is not comfortable and much stiffer but IS300 is very comfortable)

Higher limits thanks to more sticky and bigger tires (higher than my G and much higher than IS300)

Faster thanks to big engine (a bit faster than my G and much faster than IS300)

I think the best feature on GSF is engine/exhaust sound. It sounds much more sweet and louder than IS and G. (Maybe I'm old now. I think it's a bit too loud after 2 years ownership. But it's definitely very good if you want to show off your car...)
I think except its higher limit(bigger tires), more power(V8) you will not feel GSF is MUCH better than IS300… (so as M5)

I'm sure GSF is much better on track but on busy public highways or streets because it doesn’t feel very nimble although it already feels smaller and more nimble than M5.
I just did a very short test on M3. I found M3 steering and ride was much stiffer than M5. I think M3 or M5 should be much better on very high speed race tracks... Like I said before, the more speed the better especially above 200 km/hr... So on narrow mountain roads I think Japanese sports cars should be better...

I think both Germany and Japanese performance cars are good... They are just developed differently...
Don’t worry...

I still can put stiffer springs on my GSF to shrink its size magically and virtually to a much smaller car which could let my GSF feel as nimble as 86. Just like what I did on my 2000 Maxima and 2007 G35S. However once spring rates are much higher on GSF its ride would become very bouncy. So I need to put much stiffer dampers to calm down those stiffer springs. Unfortunately once the dampers on GSF become stiff its ride would become extremely uncomfortable. So I need VERY SMART dampers which would know when become stiff and when become soft especially on public roads which can be from very smooth to very bad. That’s why very good performance dampers are very expensive.

In addition those performance dampers have to work very hard to calm down those much stiffer springs. So you may need to replace them every 3-5 years to keep them still in good condition… So really good performance always comes with some prices…
Of course if you put stiffer dampers/springs on a already smaller car like 86 or old DC2. It would become even smaller. I have seen modified 86, old DC2 and G37 coupe changing lanes lighting fast on highways…

PS: If you really decide to go this route, you may need to upgrade your tires because stiffer dampers and springs may also reduce tire grips… but they do give you immediate and very confident handling…
You may think my GSF's handling is not good. If you do, then I think you are WRONG...

Like many reviews, actually GSF is very nimble and capable on mountain roads when comparing with CTS-V and CTS-V steering/handling beats the latest M5, E63S, Panamera Turbo...

In fact I think GSF's springs are quite stiff already. That's why it feels more bouncy than M5 on highways...

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a19459941/2018-bmw-m5-vs-cadillac-cts-v-mercedes-amg-e63-s-porsche-panamera-turbo-comparison-test/s://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a19459941/2018-bmw-m5-vs-cadillac-cts-v-mercedes-amg-e63-s-porsche-panamera-turbo-comparison-test/
I think I did not drive really fast(it's too dangerous on public roads) even though 95% of the time I was the fastest or equally fast on the roads under legal speed. I also don't drive my car on high speed, wide racetracks, either. So those performance cars is NOT what I want. What I really need is a extremely nimble, at least 300hp, automatic transmission, very reliable car which can let me go from point A to point B fast and effortlessly even though the traffic is heavy and crowded...

I think a modified 370Z(with KW V3 or PSS10) could meet my goal... If I need a full size 4-door car, I think a modified Q50 RS400(with KW V3 or Ohlins) should meet my goal... A modified GSF is also good but I have to pay more money...
限制級
您即將進入之討論頁 需滿18歲 方可瀏覽。
根據「電腦網路內容分級處理辦法」修正條文第六條第三款規定,已於該限制級網頁,依台灣網站分級推廣基金會規定作標示。
評分
複製連結